Article 9.60 Agritourism Catering Facility
Off-site catering services in an Agritourism Catering Facility are permitted in the Rural Zoning District subject to a Special Use Permit according to the procedures of Article 11.4.10. Any Agritourism Catering Facility classified as a bona fide farm pursuant to G.S. 160D-903 shall be exempt from the Special Use Permit requirement.
1. The facility shall be located on a lot of at least twenty (20) acres in size.
2. A principal residence shall be located on site.
3. There shall be no more than twelve (12) employees’ present and performing activities for the off-site catering services at any time, excluding on-site resident family members of the facility owner employed in the catering operation. As used in this section 9.60, employees who are present and performing activities for both on-site and off-site catering services shall count towards the twelve (12) employee limit. The permit shall specify the number of employees permitted at the facility at the same time.
4. That facility shall have adequate off-street parking for the permitted number of employees and for the vehicles used for off-site catering services. In order to accommodate employees, off-site catering vehicles and visiting clients of the catering operation, there shall be a minimum of 1.5 spaces for each permitted employee and off-site catering service vehicle. As used in this section 9.60, vehicles used for both on-site and off-site catering services are included and subject to these regulations. Such parking shall have a visually opaque buffer at least thirty-five feet in width along the adjacent boundary or a structural screen such as a fence that is augmented with vegetation.
5. There shall be no outside storage or evidence of personal property, materials and equipment used for off-site catering services visible from adjoining residences or streets. As used in this section 9.60, personal property, materials and equipment used for both on-site and off-site catering services are included and subject to these regulations.
6. If any portion of the facility utilized by the off-site catering services is located within the on-site principal residence, such portion shall occupy no more than twenty-five percent (25%) of the total finished square footage of such principal residence. The total square footage of the facility used for off-site catering services may not exceed fifty (50%) of the total finished share footage of such principal residence. As used in this section 9.60, portions of the facility used for both on-site and off-site catering services are included and subject to these regulations.
7. The lot containing the facility shall have (i) a minimum of thirty feet (30’) of frontage on a public road, (ii) a thirty foot (30’) wide exclusive easement to a public road or (iii) a shared exclusive easement, of a minimum of 40’ in width, for use by no more than three adjoining properties at the time of the issuance of a permit.
8. Entrance drives, internal drives, parking and service areas may be gravel, crushed stone, or other suitable material approved by the Planning Director. These areas shall be well-maintained and kept free of potholes, weeds, etc. The initial fifty feet (50’) of driveway from the public roadway connection shall be paved with concrete or asphalt.