Traffic Calming

Traffic Calming

The Town of Huntersville’s Neighborhood Traffic Calming Policy inform residents of the process used to identify and resolve traffic concerns on residential streets. Under this policy, the Town’s Engineering and Public Works Department work with the subdivision's Homeowners Association (HOA), or residents to identify neighborhood traffic concerns and find appropriate solutions. This policy addresses local residential and neighborhood collector streets and does not apply to main thoroughfares that are maintained by North Carolina Department of Transportation (NCDOT).

Residential participation is an important part of all traffic calming projects. Experience in other cities has shown that traffic calming projects that are implemented without involving the neighborhood, are frequently unsuccessful, often resulting in the future removal of traffic calming measures. The Town’s goal is to give the residents who live and work in the project area the opportunity to become actively involved in the planning and decision-making process.  Please be aware that the traffic calming process can take anywhere from 3 - 6 months or longer.

Neighborhoods with an HOA

If you have concerns about traffic in your Speed Limit 25 mph and Your Speed 32 mphneighborhood, please start by reading the Neighborhood Traffic Calming Policy and contacting your HOA so they may address the concern. If the HOA is unable to address the concern, they may appoint an HOA member as their neighborhood representative and submit the Traffic Calming Request Form along with the HOA Endorsement Letter for consideration.

Neighborhoods without an HOA

If your neighborhood does not have an HOA, please obtain signatures and information from at least three (3) supporting households, (preferably more, if possible), on the Traffic Calming Neighborhood Petition and submit the Traffic Calming Request Form and petition to the Town of Huntersville Engineering Department for consideration.  Please refer to page 2 of the Traffic Calming Policy for additional information.

  1. Engineering & Public Works