In 1928, NCDOT solicited churches for their stone walls so the stone could be crushed and used to surface local roads. Many churchyards had stone wall boundaries to define the sacred area and keep out livestock. Hopewell Presbyterian Church had stones around their graveyard that would have been used for roads. However, Edward Lee Baxter Davidson, whose family had been prominent in the church, asked the Church to allow him to use the stones to enclose the church grounds. The wall was completed in 1931 with the east wall being 1,050 feet in length and the west wall being 907 feet in length, with heights varying from two to six feet.