Accessory Dwelling/Mother-In-Law Suites

Can I build an accessory dwelling or mother-in-law suite?

  • Many zoning districts permit accessory dwelling uses. To determine if your parcel is eligible, please review Article 9.1 of the Zoning Ordinance and submit your address or parcel ID to Ask A Planner.

Do I need a building permit for an accessory dwelling?

  • Yes. All accessory dwellings require building permits. Building permits and issued through Mecklenburg County.

Show All Answers

1. Accessory Dwelling/Mother-In-Law Suites
2. Building Codes
3. Building Permits
4. Business License
5. Commercial Projects
6. Decks
7. Fences
8. Home Based Businesses
9. Impervious Area or Built-Upon Area
10. Livestock (Chickens, Goats, Horses, etc.)
11. Nuisance/Violations/Mimimum HousingCode
12. Plat/Survey/Floorplan
13. Setbacks
14. Swimming Pools
15. Water/Sewer/Septic
16. Zoning